Handy Links


We are continually adding useful links to this page, so please check back for the latest information. If you have some information you think would be useful to add to this page then please get in contact at  josephine.erwin@nhs.net

More information on employment issues

The National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society (NRAS) has very useful information on employment issues which can be found on their website:


Arthritis Research UK also produce a useful booklet called Work and Arthritis. This is avaialble on-line and can be obtained as a booklet free from Arthritis Rsearch UK (see Appendix for contact details).


If you have a health condition or a disability that affects your ability to work, JobCentre Plus in Cornwall offers a service for disabled workers by putting them in touch with a Disability Employment Advisor (DEA).

Whether you have just lost your job or have been out of work for a long time, a Disability Employment Advisor will help you to find work or to gain new skills for a job. They can help with work preparation, advocacy, recruitment, and confidence building. Disability Employment Advisors offer an employment assessment to find out what kind of work would suit you best.

For more information on Disability Employment Advisors call 0845 6060 234

Inspiring Work is a website that gives information on all the back-to-work support available in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly:


For more information on Cornwall Works call 01877 355015 or email info@cornwallworks.org.uk

Viva, Volunteer Cornwall

This programme is for you if you have a disability or a long-term illness, or if you support someone who does. Viva enables those with a disability or a long-term illness to try volunteering in a fun environment. You will build your confidence, gain skills, develop friendships, and engage with your community.

For more information call 07866 536735 or email terrys@volunteercornwall.org.uk or www.volunteercornwall.org.uk 

More information on social support

There are no arthritis support groups in Cornwall however for those living in the southeast of the county there is a support group in Plymouth. This is the Plymouth and District Rheumatoid Arthritis Group Support (PADRAGs) which meets monthly at MountGouldHospital, Plymouth. For further details please see:


NRAS have a team of trained Telephone Support Volunteers all of whom have been diagnosed with RA and are happy to talk about all aspects of living with RA. You can register for a call by phoning the helpline on 0800 298 7650 (between 9.30-4.30 Mon-Fri) or you can register on-line by following the link below:


NRAS produce a guide on how to set up a support group called Step by Step. Copies of this can be obtained by contacting Jo Erwin on 01872 256431 or from NRAS volunteers@nras.org.uk  0845 458 3969.

Information on support for carers in Cornwall can be found at:


More information about travel for leisure

NRAS provides a list of travel insurers that its members recommend – this can be obtained by called the Helpline on (0800 298 7650)

It also gives information on immunisation for people with RA: http://www.nras.org.uk/immunisation-for-people-with-rheumatoid-arthritis- 

More information about RA and sex

Arthritis Research UK produce a helpful booklet called Sex and Arthritis. This is available on-line or can be obtained free from Arthritis Research UK (see Appendix for contact details).


More information about RA and family relationships

Arthritis Research UK produce a useful booklet for people caring for those with arthritis. This is available on-line or can be obtained free from Arthritis Research UK (see Appendix for contact details).


More information about RA, pain and fatigue

Arthritis Research UK have a helpful booklet on Fatigue and Arthritis. This is available on-line or can be obtained for free from Arthritis Research UK (see Appendix for contact details):


Arthritis care produce a booklet entitled Coping with Pain. This is available on-line or can be obtained for free from Arthritis Care(see Appendix for contact details):


More information about finances and access to benefits

National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society booklet ‘A self-help guide to claiming Disability Living Allowance for adults with rheumatoid arthritis’ You can get your copy of the booklet by contacting NRAS enquiries@nras.org.uk or by calling 0845 458 3969 or you can download a copy:


Arthritis Care also have information on various benefits that people with RA may be eligible for:


Free financial advice can be obtained from the Citizens Advice Bureau which has local offices in towns through Cornwall. For information on the locations and services available see the website or call 08444 99 41 88 :


If you would like more information about personal budgets, click the link below to the Cornwall Council website for information, guidance and brochures.


Alternatively you can call: Adult Care, Health & Wellbeing on T: 0300 1234131

Disability Cornwall on T: 01736 756655 

More information about RA and exercise

Arthritis Research UK produce a useful booklet “Keep Moving” on exercise and arthritis. This is available on-line or can be obtained for free from Arthritis Care (see Appendix for contact details):


There are no specific exercise classes for people with rheumatoid arthritis in Cornwall but many people find swimming beneficial. A list of warm pools will be posted on the RA website which is to be launched later this year.

For general tips on how to stay physically active  see:


For general tips on how to keep a health weight see:

The Cornwall Swimfit Programme aims to encourage individuals who suffer from a medical condition or who are at risk from their health deteriorating and who would benefit form water based exercise but may not have the confidence to attend public pool swimming session. It is held at St Ives, Helston, Truro and Bodmin and is available on referral. For more contact Chris Cleator or Claire Boyd on 01209 310062.

Across Cornwall there are a number of “Walking for Health” walking groups which are at different levels. Level 1 is on a hard surface, between 1.5 and 2 miles and takes approx 1 to 1.5 hours. A list of these groups can be found at: http://www.cornwallhealthyweight.org.uk/physical-activity/walking-for-health/

Get Active Cornwall provides s a searchable list of sport and physical activities available in Cornwall:


More information about mobility

Foot health

NARS has a very comprehensive site on foot health:


 The Disabled Living Foundation produces a useful factsheet “Finding Suitable Footwear. This available by calling (020) 7289 6111:

Travel concessions

NRAS has a useful site on travel concessions:


Information on the NationalConcessionsBusPass can be found at:




Arthritis Research UK produce a booklet “Everyday Living and Arthritis” which discusses driving. This is available on-line or can be obtained for free from Arthritis Care (see Appendix for contact details):



Car adaptations

The Cornwall Mobility Centre in Truro offers an assessment service to identify any difficulties with driving and to recommend and fit adaptations. For more information please call 01872 254920.


Motability scheme

This is a government scheme which enables disabled people to obtain a car, powered wheelchair or scooter by using their government-funded mobility allowances. Customers exchange their allowance for a mobility package which includes insurance and servicing. To find out more about the car, scooter and powered wheelchair scheme you can contact:
Motability Operations , City Gate House, 22 Southwark Bridge Road, London , SE1 9HB.
Or telephone: 0845 456 4566; textphone 0845 675 0009 (8.30am till 5.30pm Monday to Friday).


Disabled Motorists Federation

TheDisabled Motorists Federation (DMF) give advice to disabled people (irrespective of the nature of their disability) and their carers on issues relating to motoring and transport matters, including things like blue badge policy. Telephone 0151 648 3457


More information about disability aids

To see a hospital-based OT you will need a referral from your GP or rheumatologist. Community OTs specialise in home adaptations, you can refer yourself to a community OT through social services. If you are having problems getting a referral, contact social services and ask for a needs assessment. You are entitled to this under the NHS and Community Care Act 1990. To discuss how you can obtain an assessment and for referrals to the community rehabilitation teams call the Adult Care and Support Access Team at Cornwall Council on 0300 124 131



More Information on Complementary and Alternative Therapies

The Therapy Directory: The Therapy Directory aims to give visitors all the information they need to help them make an informed decision about whether therapy would be right for them. The website has an FAQ’s section, a number of useful articles written by our members and the facility to search for a practitioner in your area. To ensure professionalism all listed therapists have provided relevant qualifications and insurance cover or proof of membership with a professional body.

Click Here  


Useful contacts

Arthritis Research UK
Copeman House
St Mary’s Gate
S41 7TD
United Kingdom

Tel:  +44 (0) 300 790 0400
Fax: +44 (0) 300 790 0401